This document explains in detail the types of personal data we may collect about you when you interact with us. It also explains how we’ll store and handle that data, and keep it safe.
There’s a lot of information here and it’s possible (if you’ve started reading) that you might not make it all the way to the end, but we want to make it as easy as we can for you to understand your rights and how we use your data.
Hopefully the rest of this document will make things clear for you, but if not, feel free to contact us via the website and we’ll do what we can to help you.
What is The Cinema Society?
The Cinema Society (we’ll call it TCS from now on) is a club that offers its members the opportunity to buy vouchers that may be exchanged for cinema tickets with partner cinema companies. The price of the vouchers normally (unless the cinemas themselves are running a special offer) represent a discount against the face value of a cinema ticket.
The Cinema Society is a trading name of Mongoose Promotions Limited, a company trading in England and Wales, from now on when we refer to “we” or “us” take it to mean both Mongoose and TCS.
To take advantage of the discounted prices of vouchers you will need to register your details with us to become a member. Only those people who are part of a closed user group with whom we are working (we’ll refer to the as “clients”) are allowed to register. Those people who are entitled to join will typically either be employees of our clients or customers (for example gym members or members of a charity).
We use various digital techniques in order to link to our client’s businesses, it’s not necessary to go into those here (because they don’t affect your privacy) but we’d be very happy to talk you through them if you wish – just get in touch through the website.
Why do we collect your data?
In accordance with the law there are a few reasons why we collect your data:
In specific situations, we can collect and process your data with your consent. For example, when you tick a box to allow us to let you know about forthcoming movies.
In certain circumstances, we need your personal data to comply with our contractual obligations. For example, some of our clients wish to know how many of their members are taking up the offer of discounted cinema tickets and so we need to identify you as a member of a particular client and we may tell that client about your cinemagoing habits in order to help them (and us) to tailor the information we send to you (for example making sure that if you like sci-fi movies then we may tell you when the next one is released)
If the law requires us to, we may need to collect and process your data. For example, we can pass on details of people involved in fraud or other criminal activity affecting us to law enforcement.
In specific situations, we require your data to pursue our legitimate interests in a way which might reasonably be expected to help us build and operate a successful business and which does not materially impact your rights, freedom or interests.
For example, we may, over time build a picture of the types of films you like to watch so that we can let you know when something is coming up that we think you may enjoy
When do we collect your data?
· When you register for TCS
· When you make a purchase from TCS
· When you engage with us on social media (please do, we’re on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Instagram)
· When you contact us with queries, complaints etc
· When you enter prize draws or competitions.
· When you choose to complete any surveys we send you.
· When you comment on or review our products and services.
· When you’ve given a third-party permission to share with us the information they hold about you.
What data do we collect?
· Your name, address, telephone number and email address.
· Some information about your cinemagoing habits such as favourite types of films and how often you go.
· Purchase patterns – when do you buy cinema vouchers, how often, what type of vouchers do you buy?
· How you arrived at TCS
We expressly do not collect or store any financial information from you such as credit or debit card details.
How do we use that data?
We only use your data in order to try and give you the best experience of using TCS that we possibly can, that might include:
· To allow you to purchase our products quickly and easily, for example by “guessing” what vouchers you might want to buy.
· Predicting the types of movies that you want to see and telling you about what movies are out now or soon and what products are available through us via email, social media and post.
· Using the data regarding your cinemagoing habits to try and ensure that we negotiate the best prices that we possibly can with the participating cinemas.
· Creating effective promotions that reward your buying behaviour or encouraging you to use our service more often.
· To tell you about offers we have sourced that we think you might be interested in.
· To assist your order process and make sure you can purchase vouchers as easily as possible.
· To answer any queries or complaints that you may have as quickly and effectively as possible.
· To ask you to help us improve our service by asking you some questions about it.
· To, as far as possible, protect you from fraud or crime we may use your data or share it with law enforcement.
· To respond to any queries that you may have submitted to us.
How do we protect your personal data?
We know how much data security matters to you. With this in mind we treat your data with the utmost care and take all appropriate steps to protect it.
We secure access to all transactional areas of our websites and apps using ‘https’ technology.
Access to your personal data is password-protected, and sensitive data (such as payment card information) is not stored or collected by our platforms.
We maintain our systems using the latest software updates.
How long do we keep your personal data?
Typically we will only retain your data for as long as you are a member of TCS though we will retain access to your transactional information for 5 years.
Who will we share your personal information with?
We sometimes share your personal data with trusted third parties. For example, our transactional partner, delivery couriers, for fraud management, to handle complaints, to help us personalise our offers to you and so on.
Where might your personal data be processed?
Any personal data is managed within the European Economic Area (EEA).
If you are based outside the UK and place an order with us, we will transfer the personal data that we collect from you to our business in the UK.
What are your rights with regards to the data we hold?
You can at any time:
· Access the data we hold about you (this is normally free of charge and we’ll let you know if not).
· Correct whatever we hold which is incorrect, out of date or incomplete.
· Request that we stop using your personal data for direct marketing.
Your right to withdraw consent
Whenever you have given us your consent to use your personal data, you have the right to change your mind at any time and withdraw that consent – you just need to contact us to let us know or change the settings in your user area.
All email communications issued by us give you the opportunity to unsubscribe to such communications in future. Just click the link at the bottom of the page.
We will always need to confirm your identity should you wish to make any changes to the data we hold. In most cases you can do this by logging into TCS though on occasion we may need to take further steps to confirm who you are.
We’ll always do our best to ensure that you are satisfied with the way your data has been handled, however if you are not satisfied then we hope you will contact us in the first instance.
If however, you want to take things further then you have the right to make a complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
You can contact them by calling 0303 123 1113
Or go online to www.ico.org.uk/concerns
(opens in a new window; please note we can't be responsible for the content of external websites)
If you are based outside the UK, you have the right to lodge your complaint with the relevant data protection regulator in your country of residence.
If you have any questions about this policy, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
or contact us via the TCS web platform.